EnglishForward.com | The Internet's Largest Learn English Community | It sure as heck is genitive case. As noted above, when it's third person, you can do this. "My friend" is often used when saying "Kim is my friend", or in the construction, "My friend, you have a rip in the back of your shirt.". Instead of meaning "one of my friends" which would be about number, it means an unspecified friend, of which there might only be one. “my” vs “mine” (adjectives vs. possessive ). I think friend of mine can be translated to my friend. “I've met many friends of yours” could equally be “I've met many of your friends”. I'm doing work that should get me some money, but my parents don't pay me for the work I do and I don't like that. But consider: Perhaps this use of the non-genitive is just a matter of usage. Is it acceptable to email an author to ask for a copy of his book that is currently out of print? If you said "this is my home" that assumption would be even greater, as people tend to refer to just one place as their home, even if they own multiple properties. In this specific case, there's an additional issue with the adjective “old”. The second sentence takes “your friends”, and adds “many of” to indicate that the number is more than a few but less than all. Can I deduct my rent from UK taxes when working from home? (object pronoun). "Friend of mine" would generally be used when you're saying something like "Kim is a friend of mine," in other words, at the end of a phrase or sentence. ("mine eyes" but not "mine mouth"). Mine is used to refer a thing belonging to (or a person associated with) the speaker. Selected radio button shows user more content. “My teacher said …” either refers to the specific teacher that you have been discussing earlier (it's equivalent to “the teacher [of mine] we were discussing earlier said …”), or implies that you have a single teacher. It only takes a minute to sign up. Well, if it always had to be "of yours", "of Jane's", "of mine", etc., then we would say that the syntactic rule is that the "of" used for possession licenses genitive case. The problem is that you can also say "of Jane", "of the cat", which means that, for some reason, some forms don't. For example, “this is my friend Lord Henry” sounds perfectly natural, because (presumably) you only have one friend who is called Lord Henry. How/when can we use MINLP engines instead of linearizing MP models? Is that right? "She is a friend of my" wasn't mentioned. It's actually a matter of whether it is double genitive or not: Why do you say “friend of mine” instead of “friend of me”? There isn't a logical rule that explains why this is, and there doesn't need to be. If I did say that, I was wrong. Do you mean "I've discovered something of use to you"? Will electromagnetism separate into electricity and magnetism as the universe cools down? Like "a friend of mine" sample. It is just stylistic differences? Certainly "a friend of mine" says you have more than one friend. That'all :) Chronocidal had understood that closely. The emphatic possessive construction is formed by of mine, and the equivalent using other persons (of yours, of hers, of Jane's, of the cat's, etc.). “A friend of his” type expression for abstract entities. Therefore. "hern friends" was used in the past. Reminds me of '. So “friend of mine’s” would be a triple possessive! English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. It is a bit different from “That's my friend” which begs for finishing the sentence (“That's my friend Jenny”). Now all is clear to me. Maybe, "friend of mine" differs from "my friend" mainly in terms of definiteness. It's still wrong even with the later assertion in your comment. Obviously, I can't stop thinking about this. I guess it's not about plurality. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. When and why we use double-genitive with respect to the word 'of'? So, for non-English speakers, the thing to take from this is not to use "of" just to show possession. Please explain how providing examples (which I did) does not fulfill that aspect of the question. It's funny because you are intentionally not marking her as a specific person, which is denigrating. When do you say ... of mine instead of my ...? This is not absolute: depending on what X is and on the context, it may be strongly implied, or weakly implied, or even sometimes not implied at all. That might explain why you can say "This wife of mine...." and it sounds funny but does not necessarily imply that you have multiple wives. But I do NOT make the assumption that if you say "He is my friend" that he is the only friend you have (as others have alluded to in here, even though you do not say it specifically above). One thing that either clinches or messes up this interpretation is that people say "of hers". I find this particular more idiomatic than “he's a friend of mine, I won't let him down”. Synonym for a friend of mine "between a friend of mine" means that you share something or do something between that person. Thank you very much for your reply, Barbara. All the other examples make sense in the context of the title, substituting "a ___ of [mine/yours/ours]" for "[my/your/our] ___". "My" is the nominative form. “This is our house” implies that (like most people) you have a single house. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. “a car of his son” is wrong to use/but/ “a friend of mine” is alright? According to this theory, when we say "a friend of his/hers/theirs/ours/mine/John's", the "his/hers/theirs/ours/mine/John's" refer to possession of multiple things? Does a Tortle's Natural Armor interfere with the Monk's Unarmored Movement ability? I placed this variant because it's similar the previous ones. English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. -1. Synonym for a friend of mine essentially they mean the same thing. Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. What differences are there? and why "of mine" rather than "of mine's"? Was "hers friends" ever grammatical? It only takes a minute to sign up. The first sentence takes “a friend of yours”, pluralizes it to “friends of yours”, and adds the determiner “many” to indicate that the number is more than a few. (It is non-overt for nouns as they don’t inflect for case like prnouns)> Anyway, put another way, after a preposition, use the object pronoun. On the other hand, “an old friend of mine” can only mean “a person who has been my friend for a long time”. But some dialectical variants use "of hern" instead, which was definitely plural in the past. For Example: John is going to meet my family and me today. "of me" can only mean "from me" or "out of me" etc. "A friend of mine' is impling some one of my many friends. The nominative form of "me" is "I". In “this is my old friend”, it could either mean “elderly friend” or “person who has been my friend for a long time”. "A friend of ours" is a made guy in the mafia. If you said "my wife" it would not be funny anymore. (possessive pronoun), The picture is me = I am in the picture. I don't know why; maybe it's because “he's my friend” makes your connection closer and this is an important impression given the sentiment expressed by the sentence? Prepositions are what are known as case markers, They assign accusative case to nouns and pronouns. Why is it usually “friend of his”, but no possessive apostrophe with “friend of Peter”? "My friend" is often used when saying "Kim is my friend", or in the construction, "My friend, you have a rip in the back of your shirt." Am I bringing my character back to life too much? How should I deal with this? "Friend of mine" would generally be used when you're saying something like "Kim is a friend of mine," in other words, at the end of a phrase or sentence.

While You Were Sleeping Full Movie Dailymotion, Nabonidus Chronicle British Museum, Michael Rutter Theory, Louis-philippe Ier Photo, Ke Lingling Now,