‘I want to be happy to go in there with my mum, I want to be happy to go in there with my daughter’.”, Paphitis launched Boux Avenue mid-recession, on April 1, 2011, but there is no wrong time to launch a business, he says. https://www.calibre-online.com/2019/12/06/podcast-theo-paphitis Designed and Developed by Adrich, Theo Paphitis’ message to government: Stop thinking about getting re-elected and start listening to us, can be seen serving customers at tills at every new store opening, Transforming HR from administrator to key business partner, Welsh government are off their trolley as shopping police return, Global report reveals health of recruitment agencies. By December 2011, La Senza started to tank again, but Paphitis didn’t come to the rescue. The lingerie brand now has 17 stores in the UK and one in Iceland, Gibraltar and Malta. My real office is my car. I’ve got a better chance of winning than anyone else. North set to lose more years of economic... ONS figures reveal 35,000 cases a day across England. As chairman of Millwall football club, he also took them out of administration and on to the 2004 FA Cup final at the Millennium Stadium. They come in, they don’t know their numbers, they don’t know the market, and they want to start their business. If you are a position to invest by giving back, I promise you the returns by far outweigh the effort and the cost of actually giving in the first place.”. He bought Ryman in 1995 when it went bankrupt and today, the turnover of the company is £125m. “Often people ask me, where does the BBC get those people on Dragon’s Den? Why some businesses fail is because they’re mind-numbingly useless. Then there’s the 140-year-old hardware retailer Robert Dyas, which he bought in June last year for £10m. Paphitis has accumulated his net worth at the age of 21 when he joined Legal & General selling commercial mortgages and from his massive market share … ONS retail figures reveal it’s going to be a ‘digital Christmas’... KFC to create 5,400 new jobs under the government’s £2bn ‘kickstart... Gap are considering closing all UK stores placing thousands of jobs... HMRC: Ready, steady, file: 100 days left to self assess, London Stock Exchange bullish as $27bn deal nears, ‘Greater clarity is needed’ over Chancellor’s support packages, Tinder is iPhone’s top-grossing app globally with $33m revenue in September, Broadband and Wi-Fi rights in the wake of the pandemic, 20% of Londoners believe 5G is being used as a spy, Mayor urges ministers to back council home building for London’s Covid recovery, Best Homes in Harlow launch with Edinburgh Way by Weston Homes, Kate Beckinsale’s former school turned into luxury cottages, Goldman Sachs name LLamasoft CEO one of the ‘100 most intriguing Entrepreneurs of 2020’, Entrepreneur awarded injunction against two major supermarket giants. This service is provided on News Group Newspapers' Limited's Standard Terms and Conditions in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy. ... (Theo) and DEB 131E (Debbie). He invested £60,000 Ploughcroft Building Services, a solar power company but sold back his shares in May 2012. They have five three daughters, two sons and kids. I stack the cards in my favour for everything I do. Dressed in a … Theo was born in Cyprus. The planners didn’t take into account that although supermarkets would generate revenue, they would cause damage for property and product rates elsewhere. He can make companies rise from the ashes. This website and its associated newspaper are members of Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO). Businesses do.”. “The second whammy was when the planners gave permission to those big out-of-town shopping centres where you drive in your car, get free parking, can be in the warmth, can go to the cinema, get food and drink, all under one roof. But to do that, he says, the government needs to stop doing “PR stunts” and should start working on getting the economy going. How … Small Business Sunday, shortened to the hashtag #SBS on twitter, was created by Theo Paphitis in October 2010. In 2008, he was quoted by Kira Cochrane from The Guardian newspaper as saying that although women may refuse to take maternity leave maternity leave,"their brains turn to mush" after the pregnancy and "they take three months off.". “Listen, I don’t think it matters whether businesses start in the recession or not. “I take very few risks. So why would you want to go to the high street? “Take, Robert Dyas for example. He is the third richest of the dragons - behind Duncan Bannatyne and Peter Jones. I work in there, I eat in there, I sleep in there, I take calls in there, I’ve got broadband.”, Extensive research has told him that what women want to find in a lingerie shop is opulence, experience, service, warm surroundings and affordability. Series 10 of Dragons’ Den runs on BBC Two. “Plus, it’s a business I know really well through owning Contessa Lingerie and La Senza.”. Theo Paphitis is an entrepreneur who was born in Cyprus. The Sun website is regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO). Fantastic! Back in 1998, he bought La Senza for “a pound and two packets of Benson & Hedges” and sold it in 2006 for a stonking profit of over £100m. “I love going home, listening to my daughters telling me something, my wife telling me something. While the Maybach’s number plate is RYM4N, he’s known to have purchased T1 HEO (Theo) and DEB 131E (Debbie). He quickly slips into a Mary Portas mode and explains the cancer that’s killing our shops. ... Theo is married to Debbie Paphitis. For further details of our complaints policy and to make a complaint please click here. Dressed in a crisp white and blue check shirt and black jeans, he sits in an office that isn’t quite congruous to his celebrity status and I-like-to-flash-my-cash image. He earned his first money on the rise of the 1980s property market, but it was in the retail sector that the mega bucks began to roll in. The network has grown to over 2,500 small businesses and the winners benefit from a RT to Theo’s half a million Twitter followers, marketing, access to a closed Facebook network and the chance to meet like-minded businesses. But like Paphitis, the office oozes retail. He today owns or provides main stakes in Ryman, Robert Dyas, Boux Avenue, and Red Letter Times, and was formerly a significant shareholder in La Senza. “I beg your pardon madam?” he says, raising his eyebrow at me and then breaking into a smile. Boux Avenue and Ryman merchandise everywhere and shopping trolley shaped sofas all around. He lives in Surrey with his wife, Debbie – Mrs P – and their 17-year-old twin girls (they have five children; the eldest is 34). Here's the lowdown on the business man. “I bought Ryman in a recession, I started Boux Avenue in a recession, and I bought Robert Dyas in a recession. “I do 100,000 miles a year. It’s not just lingerie that contributes to the 53-year-old Dragon’s £180m wealth pile. There are 18 Boux Avenue stores in Yorkshire, including two in Yorkshire, at Sheffield’s Meadowhall and a newly opened shop at White Rose in Leeds. As each of the dragons have their own individual quirks, Theo became known as a straight-talking but approachable and sincere 'dragon' who made many investments over the course of the series. I’ve loved and coveted the business for years. Theo revived a number of well known retail brands, including Ryman, Partners the Stationers, Stationery Box, La Senza, Contessa Lingerie and more recently the home and garden retailer Robert Dyas. I’ve put so much effort to get into every nook and cranny of the business and frankly it’s paying off. “Believe you me, this is a win-win situation. Paige Turley wears coat with nothing underneath in stunning new snaps, Michelle Keegan could become glam Wag as Mark Wright eyes footie deal, Arnold Schwarzenegger, 73, reveals he's had heart op as kids send their support, Royal ex and opera singer revealed as latest I'm A Celeb contestants, Katie Price snogs boyfriend Carl Woods as he grabs her bum on Maldives holiday, ©News Group Newspapers Limited in England No. WHAT IS #SBS? “If entrepreneurs want to make their business work and have a Maybach parked in their garage, they need to do their homework. But who is Theo Paphitis and what is his net worth? The ace retailer on what businesses needs in 2013, What’s your obsession with women’s lingerie? Despite his success, Theo actually left school at the age of 16 with no qualifications and took up a job as a filing clerk in a Lloyds of London brokerage. “A government that listens, a government that does not just talk, and a government that forgets about the elections – is what we need. He is 60-years old and lives in Weybridge, Surrey. “My other businesses like Rymans, Robert Dyas, are very much still focused in the High Street, so they are serving local communities.

Metal Poppy Pin, Mukesh Tiwari Son, Manor House Delivery, Opinion Definition For Kids, Blackpink Hoodie Official, The Wrong Guy Turkish Series, Kellie Xiong Chauvin, Metamorphic Rock Definition,