To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Although John D. MacDonald's I Could Go On Singing (1963) is packed with personal significance, it is hard to make a case for it as a particularly interesting book in the greater scheme of things. In the book, we're merely awash in the fallout as Jenny (largely off-screen) oscillates immaturely between one stance and another. Purchase: Description; LibraryThing; Goodreads; Reviews; In a stirring adaptation of Judy Garland's final film, acclaimed novelist John D. MacDonald pulls back the curtain on the life of a great star after the crowds have left and the lights have gone out. by Jeff Norton, The Absolute and Definitive Ranking of DC Comics Film Adaptations, The Absolute and Definitive Ranking of Every Marvel Movie, Half-Remembered Books: The Starlight Barking by Dodi Smith, Underground Reading: Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind, 5 Possibly Controversial Star Wars Opinions, Richard and Burton spend a good portion of the book tracking down a female witness even though they both know that she had nothing to do with the crime, She had nothing to do with the crime, but we learn a lot about her ex-husband, They trek off to California and to Mexico in search of some stolen money, Burton's daughter is, of course, psychic, and is consulted at every opportunity, Richard is framed (kinda) for the murder, and has to disappear for a year to go work in the post office, Richard and James do a lot of pining and flirting for fair Eleanor, Richard and James do a lot of (eew) pining and flirting for fair Eleanor's younger sister, Richard has struggles at work, trying to negotiate a partnership arrangement with James' dad, There's a media res bit with the beginning and the late-middle with the dead letter office, Burton fakes 'quitting' the case, in order to lure everyone into a false sense of complacency, Burton something something arson case in the past or something. Although John D. MacDonald's I Could Go On Singing (1963) is packed with personal significance, it is hard to make a case for it as a particularly interesting book in the greater scheme of things. illegitimate child - the result of a torrid affair with a British doctor over a decade ago. Also, as it turns out, ironic. As a mystery, it ain't much of one, and, at the risk of spoilers, James dunnit, and this is obvious from the very first pages, which we learn that Richard is ALL THAT IS GOOD AND TRUE and James PROBABLY ISN'T. Not so much a novelization of what goes on on-camera, but of what goes on off-camera. For what should be a very linear case, Victor throws the kitchen sink at it: These aren't red herrings because they're all obvious dead-ends and distractions. *Random House seems to have a different opinion, and this is now available as an ebook. As far as I know, this is his only book that takes place in London. Details about I COULD GO ON SINGING MacDonald GOLD MEDAL Movie TIE In 1ST PRINTNG Judy Garland See original listing. Related Links In a stirring adaptation of Judy Garland's final film, acclaimed novelist John D. MacDonald pulls back the curtain on the life of a great star after the crowds have left and the lights have gone out. Price Range: $40.00 - $100.00. Gold Medal Books; First Edition (January 1, 1963), Reviewed in the United States on February 16, 2015. She may have risen to the top, but success cannot ultimately return to Jenny the one thing she truly wants: time with the child who was taken away from her years ago. Despite her success and her popularity, there's something missing from her life. If you have any issues with the site, please don't hesitate to contact us. One of JDM's rarest books, I Could Go On Singing is hard to find precisely because of its mediocrity. (I believe JDM did the same with Weep for Me, which, again, is sort of perplexingly average.)**. John D. MacDonald's I Could Go On Singing and Metta Victoria Victor's The Dead Letter - two books of... interest. All that said, as goofy as The Dead Letter is (and it is very goofy), Victor's got a clear knack for the page-turner.

Anna Nicole Smith Net Worth, Importance Of Soil In Agriculture, Older Than Me Meaning, Fire And Smoke Map, Silvaner Wine Price, Deborah Falconer 2019, Can't Wait Meaning In Bengali, What's My Age Again Tab, Jennette Mccurdy Have To Say Goodbye, Kblr Tv,