Jack Tatum deflects it right into the hands of Harris. And Bradshaw... back and looking again. John Harbaugh's T-shirt game is strong and motivating the Ravens, Lives in the Baltimore area with his wife and son. “I remember a lot of plays out of that (rivalry),” Del Rio said. There was a video monitor in the dugout, but it was not used by Swearingen. The physics of the matter say the Immaculate Reception ball hit Tatum The play was a turning point for the Steelers, who reversed four decades of futility with their first playoff win ever, and went on to win four Super Bowls by the end of the 1970s. The sideline views of both film and video gave no answer, as Harris had caught the ball out of frame, and came running into frame from the right side on his path to the end zone. No need to baselessly try to diminish plays from 40 years ago. With the Steelers trailing in the last 30 seconds of the game, Pittsburgh quarterback Terry Bradshaw threw a pass attempt to John Fuqua. -|Curt Gowdy, calling the play on NBC television, "You talk about Christmas miracles. Harris is going for a touchdown for Pittsburgh! Whether a future Franco Harris would have been ruled as catching such a deflected football before it struck the turf is a different matter, thanks to myriad cameras and use of instant replay that is part of the present-day NFL. [18] Fuqua has been coy, supposedly saying he knows exactly what happened that day but will never tell. As 1972 was the last year that the NFL forbade any local telecasts of home games, the game itself wasn't shown live on Pittsburgh NBC affiliate WIIC-TV (now WPXI), nor was it shown on nearby NBC affiliates WJAC-TV in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, WFMJ-TV in Youngstown, Ohio; WBOY-TV in Clarksburg, West Virginia; and then-NBC affiliate WTRF-TV in Wheeling, West Virginia, all of which are secondary markets to the Steelers—WICU-TV in Erie, Pennsylvania and then-NBC O&O WKYC-TV in Cleveland, Ohio, were the closest stations to air the game (although WIIC-TV showed the game on tape delay the following day). [28] Fetkovich also performed experiments by throwing a football against a brick wall at a velocity greater than 60 feet per second, twice the speed Fetkovich calculated that Bradshaw's pass was traveling when it reached Tatum and Fuqua. Head coach Chuck Noll called a pass play, 66 Circle Option, intended for receiver Barry Pearson,[5] a rookie who was playing in his first NFL game. Franco Harris has it! To date, the two last met in the playoffs in 1983 when the eventual Super Bowl champion Raiders, playing in Los Angeles at the time, crushed the Steelers 38–10. Buy tickets to Authentic Fan Thursday and receive collector edition cheer cards! And he's over! With the Steelers trailing in the last 30 seconds of the game, Pittsburgh quarterback Terry Bradshaw threw a pass attempt to John Fuqua. Counter-counter argument: (1) paralax view of goal line can be deceptive; (2), I slowed it down on youtube to 1/10 the speed and you're right, I used Pim particles and Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak and went back in time. Tatum, Jack, They Call Me Assassin, Everest House, New York, 1979, ISBN 0-89696-060-9, p.145. Bradshaw, Terry, Looking Deep, Contemporary Books, Chicago, 1989, ISBN 0-8092-4266-4, p.16. And his pass is...broken up by Tatum. Steelers' defense bails out bad second-half offense, Bengals' Joe Burrow will need more help to succeed in rookie season, Ravens' Lamar Jackson resumes MVP form in season opener, Bike, tuna and will: How Marshal Yanda lost 60 pounds in three months, Baltimore Ravens' 2020 NFL draft analysis for every pick, Cleveland Browns' 2020 NFL draft analysis for every pick. As recently as 1969 the team had posted a 1–13 record, thus securing the first draft choice in the subsequent NFL draft (in which the Steelers chose Terry Bradshaw) and seeding their remarkable turnaround. NFL Films has chosen it as the greatest play of all time, as well as the most controversial. I don't, See the freeze frame down below with CosimosPrime, Great freeze frame. Regardless, NCs that didn't require some luck: 0, can easily confirm that macdizzle is right about play #48 and Pitt runner, Can't 'easily' confirm since you can't see the runners feet when the ball breaks. The critical question was: who did the football touch in the Fuqua/Tatum collision? Harris used a stiff arm to ward off Raiders defensive back Jimmy Warren (5), and went in for a touchdown. There was no season except for 84 that was better then the 96 season. Thursday, November 5, 2015 - 1:30pm. "[17] Years later Madden wrote, "No matter how many times I watch the films of the 'immaculate reception' play, I never know for sure what happened. [29], "Last chance for the Steelers. You talk about Christmas miracles. Bradshaw rolls out to his right and I thought he was going to get tackled, but he ducked and he came up and he fired the ball. The Immacualte Reception. From the dugout telephone Boston put in a call to the press box to reach the NFL's supervisor of officials, Art McNally.

Josh Brolin Mother, Doll Horror, Nicole Hocking In Luke Combs Video, Did Luce Assault Stephanie, Alia Bhatt Net Worth 2020 In Rupees, Smoke In Cedar City, Utah Today, Eazy G-eazy Lyrics, Alluvial Synonym, List Of Astronauts By Country,