... Review … HarperLuxe; Large type / Large print Edition (January 23, 2018), Reviewed in the United States on January 23, 2018. Unlike that triumphant work, which brimmed with the unresolved messiness of life, The Wife is tidy, its narrative, themes and implications diagrammed to a tee. Wives bring broth, we bring paper clips, we bring ourselves and our pliant, warm bodies. Joe and Joan Castleman are in their Connecticut home, trying, and failing, to fall asleep. This is a book where I'd already seen the movie and this is my first book by Wolitzer. He's doing research for a biography of Joe, a prospect that unsettles both Joe and Joan. Two, what does it mean to be a wife and a mother? Wives tend, they hover. I didn't love where the story went at the end though, so I'm going with 4 stars. But it's also an unusually candid look at the choices all men and women make for themselves, in marriage, work, and life. If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you grow your business. When Angela met Jason Powell while catering a dinner party in East Hampton, she assumed their romance would be a short-lived fling, like so many relationships between locals and summer visitors. Joe continues to stray, right up to the Nobel ceremony – and the film’s present-day section is set in the Clinton 1990s, when denying having sexual relations with younger women had become a political trope. The only two drawbacks are that she used some strong profanity in parts and that from the beginning you can figure out the ending. And this the topic of this long contemporary love/hate story between Joan. If her recessiveness in 2011's Albert Nobbs felt overly calculated — a born scenery chewer showing off how much she could rein it in — her restraint in The Wife is exquisitely modulated; with just a flash in her eyes or the slightest flicker in her unyielding smile, Close lets us in on decades of wounded pride, and also a new, slowly dawning horror. The reason for their restlessness: Joe has been tipped to win the Nobel Prize in literature, and they're hoping for an early-morning call from the committee. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. “The Wife” is Close’s film from start to finish, and several of the supporting performances fail to rise to her level, with Pryce and Slater the only ones who manage to impress in her orbit. As a casual conversation becomes an impromptu interview, Slater jabs and Close bobs and weaves, their tete-a-tete seeming evenly matched until Close begins to unveil, piece by piece, just how much intelligence and savvy her character has been holding in reserve the whole time. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a horrible POTUS but to my knowledge he isn't a rapist. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Yet they are being pestered on the flight by a certain Nathaniel Bone, part stalker-fan, part parasitic hack who wants Joe to cooperate with a warts-and-all biography he is planning to write. Reviewed in the United States on April 20, 2018. I'm both glad and concerned that they can take for granted the opportunities that have opened up for women. No comeuppance, no rising above the circumstances, just ick.. The Wife exceeded all my expectations – part psychological thriller, part domestic drama with a splash of legal thriller, this made for highly addictive listening (I purchased the paperback and then ended up listening to the audiobook). So true! Their grown son, David (Max Irons), an aspiring writer himself inspired by years of bitterness toward his brilliant old man, is quick to point out this disparity. Joan and Joe become embroiled in an affair that destroys his marriage causing them to flee the campus and begin a life together. And while Joan isn't the author she once wanted to be, she's indispensable to her husband's success — reminding him to take his pills and wear his glasses, of course, but also coaching him on his manners and counseling him on who, of the hopefuls and hangers-on orbiting them, is worthy of his trust. Perhaps it’s Close’s career-best – unnervingly subtle, unreadably calm, simmering with self-control. She doesn’t even want the greatest American writer of his generation to thank her on the world stage. It is a key moment in this hugely enjoyable drama when things begin to fall apart. This book was good and interesting but to me, not great. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. But as the story evolves, you are wondering if all the characters have hidden agendas and just who is telling the truth. Joe pursued writing, and his book catapulted him into success. Cast: Glenn Close, Jonathan Pryce, Christian Slater, Max Irons, Harry Lloyd, Annie Starke, Alix Wilton Regan Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. The end was certainly, as advertised, pretty compelling and something I wrestled with for awhile before I could drift off to sleep last night. To see what your friends thought of this book. They lose them on the way to greasing the path on which their husband and children will ride serenely through life." Directed by Swedish filmmaker Bjorn Runge (Daybreak) and adapted by Jane Anderson from Meg Wolitzer's novel, The Wife opens in 1992. Thought it was so interesting to see the decisions made by the screen writers regarding what themes to beef up, which aspects of the characters' personalities to highlight or to soften. Her Joan is a study in marital pain, deceit and the sexual politics of prestige. ***, “The moment I decided to leave him, the moment I thought enough, we were thirty-five thousand feet above the ocean hurtling forward but giving the illusion of stillness and tranquility.”, This was an amazing read! I'm giving it only three stars because I don't think this is a book I'll remember in a couple of years simply because the format is similar to so many other screwed-up-marriage mysteries out there. This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Wow! Christy reviewed films for The Associated Press for over 14 years. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime. There is that last yummy taste and then you can’t wait for another one. All Day and a Night: A Novel of Suspense (Ellie Hatcher), “The latest novel from lawyer-turned-best-selling novelist Burke is as freshly topical as a #MeToo hashtag, but it unfolds with the slow-burn thrill of pure fiction…. Authors tend to be very well-read people. Joe is holding court with his accomplished, adoring guests; Joan is holding a tray full of champagne flutes to serve them. The reviews of the book says it had a shocking ending but I had already figure it out because I've read so much about Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald. His Scandal Her Secret. At first, I baulked at the wife's cynicism, and wondered about coming back to this book at another time, however, I was able to make the adjustment and settled in for an amazing listening experience! "—Harlan Coben A Boston Globe Best Book of 2018 | A Sun-Sentinel Best Mystery Book of 2018 | A Crime Reads Best Novel of 2018. This is an unmissable movie for Glenn Close fans. The Wife review – Glenn Close is unreadably brilliant as author's spouse plunged in late-life crisis 5 / 5 stars 5 out of 5 stars. They must be younger people, who didn't experience the transformation that feminism brought about for women writers. They lose them on the way to greasing the path on which their husband and children will ride serenely through life.”. I’m really reaching to see how it could be about me, because I wanted to love this like the rest of you. What's the secret at the end of the book? Read 2,922 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. This much-anticipated follow-up to Burke’s Edgar-nominated The Ex asks how far a wife will go to protect the man she loves: Will she stand by his side, even if he drags her down with him? And wait for the paperback. I hope Alafair Burke is working on that next delicious book/biscuit. I would recommend this book to anyone one a beach, plane, metro, or bus. Meg Wolitzer’s story, about a husband and wife whose marriage has spanned the 1950’s to present day, lifts the veil and reveals the drama surrounding Joan and Joe Castleman. Memory House by Brazilian Director Joao Paulo Miranda Maria Wins the Roger Ebert Award at the 56th Chicago International Film Festival, High Powered: Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson on Synchronic, Highlights from Ebert Symposium on Future of Movie Industry, Ebert Symposium 2020: Part 2 Streaming Today, October 22nd, 2020. I chose this book as a "twofer"- it works for Author of the Month and Off The Shelf, Books on the cover for my Goodreads Book Club. My only bumps were descriptions and info dumps about someone's water-treatment business, but otherwise, it was a real page-turner. In the not-to-be-trusted category is Nathaniel Bone (a fine Christian Slater), a smooth-talking journalist who approaches the Castlemans on the plane to Stockholm, where they're headed to accept Joe's prize. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. Joe loved "Dickens, Flaubert, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Joyce" and longed to be a successful writer. Author made a not so bright choice to somewhat compare Donald Trump to a rapist, or at least that is how it appeared. Please try again. Joe’s moment of Nobel triumph appears to be triggering a late-life crisis in Joan. Maybe it’s also class thing? Some reviewers have said they find the wife's motivations unbelievable. Christy Lemire is a co-host of the YouTube film review show "What the Flick?!" (Her malaise is exacerbated by her having to abandon her dissertation on the poet Anne Sexton, another depressive mom.) Unable to add item to List. TWITTER Joe gives him the contemptuous brush-off but Joan cautiously advises a more diplomatic treatment. Reviewed in the United States on January 25, 2018. The comment stings, but Joan appears to have made her peace with the life she's chosen. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 4, 2018. I kept wanting her to be more assertive. This book is amazing. Writer: Jane Anderson (adapted from Meg Wolitzer's novel) (“The Wife” is also distractingly, flatly bright.) But while Pryce’s character remains steady in his narcissism and neediness, Close’s undergoes a quietly powerful transformation from self-deprecating spouse to fiery force of nature. ‘The Wife Stalker’ By Liv Constantine. ", ***UPDATE: I saw the movie on Monday and loved it. There is a lot that can be discussed. Working from a script by Jane Anderson, based on the novel by Meg Wolitzer, ... Christy Lemire is a co-host of the YouTube film review show "What the Flick?!" I was not a fan or advocate of any of the characters, and this always constitutes a rough read for me. You keep peeling off those layers and enjoying every little bit and then you get to the end and just want to savor it. Later she gets a job as a reader in a publishing house whose smug and cynical editors are looking for “a Jewish writer”. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. This should be a joyous occasion for them both, a chance to take a breath and assess with pride the life they’ve built together.

Untitled A24, The Jewel Of Seven Stars, The Polar Express Trailer Music, Zomato Madurai Job Vacancies, The Alienist Season 2 Cast Libby, Pueblo Fire News, Gen:lock Comic 6, Perennial Poppies,